Thursday 3 September 2009

JP at the Jazz

Back in June I promised to publish some more sketches done on my Apple iPod Touch using the Jackson Pollock App.

During the Marlborough Jazz Festival in July I did dozens of sketches in more traditional media; pencil and brush pen, trying to capture the energy of the musicians and the excitement of their performances. Based on these sketches I have now created a series of images drawn with my forefinger on the touch sensitive screen of my iPod using the JP App.


The Jackson Pollock App simulates the drip painting technique of the eponymous abstract expressionist painter. There is no "undo" function so you can't correct any mistakes. You have to respond to marks already made just as Jackson Pollock did in real life. This makes for quick, gestural drawings, which encourage you to work quickly to capture the moment.


The colour options I opted for, echo I think, the spirit of jazz and the buzz of live performance. You can see a selection of these iPod sketches by clicking on my flickr image library site and judge for yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment