Saturday 25 April 2009

Jackson Pollock lives....


... again, at least on the Apple iPhone/iPod Touch. I've just downloaded the "Jackson Pollock" program or App as it is known in Apple land onto my iPod Touch and I am already very taken by its creative possibilities.

The program allows use to create your own drip paintings in true Jackson Pollock style using your finger(s) as brushes on the screen. If you dwell too long the paints pools and runs and you can create very gestural marks depending on the speed and weight of your touch as evidenced by this early attempt on your left. You can save your efforts as you go and continue to work over your work using a random palette or a selection of colour-keyed palettes.

It has been well received by the Apple iPhone/Ipod Touch community although some commments by users on the iStore web-site have requested an 'undo' facility. I think that runs rather counter to the whole philosophy behind Jackson Pollock's drip painting process. He couldn't lift the drips and splodges off his own canvases. He had to accept the marks he made and respond to them with more layers on top. So I hope that this is a suggestion which the program's creator, Milton Manetas, decides to reject.

I am still messing about with this brilliant program on my Ipod and hope to post some of my creations in the coming weeks.
.
Image © Gordon Aitcheson 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment