Saturday 15 December 2012

More affordable sculpture

These four sculptures are currently on exhibition at the Royal Birmingham Society of Arts until Christmas Eve. I carved the originals in limestone and then made moulds from which I cast these reproductions in Jesmonite. Jesmonite is a composite material used by museums and galleries around the world to create replicas of their prize works.

I use my own blend of aggregates to add to the Jesmonite which allow me to create these pieces with the look and feel of polished limestone. Cast solid in editions of 100, each piece is signed and hand-finished by me using exactly the same tools that I use for my carved originals. And importantly these sculptures are available at a price one-third that of my investment bronzes, making these more affordable sculptures available to a wider audience.


Primavera
73 x 25 x 20 cm.

Primavera (Spring) is the first in a series of four sculptures, my Quattro Stagioni (Four Seasons) series. Each sculpture depicts a female torso morphing into a plant form, representing a season of the year. With Primavera the figure has the head of a crocus with the hands and facial features just beginning to reveal themselves as the new growth of Spring emerges.






Reclining Torso
57 x 14 x 15 cm.

Carved originally from a shard of Cotswold limestone, the female figure in Reclining Torso is gradually revealed as if found in an archaeological dig.




The Sun-Worshipper
38 x 30 x 4.5 cm.

Carved in relief, again from a block of limestone, The Sun-Worshipper was inspired by a lizard sunning itself against a wall outside my studio one summer's day..




Arch
30 x 31.5 x 5 cm.

Arch is another relief carving with the figure sitting within an arched window.  



No comments:

Post a Comment